Join us for the Strong Towns Community Convening
Thursday, June 06, 2019
Join us for the Strong Towns Community Convening on Tuesday, June 18th from 6pm to 7:30pm at the Hutchinson Art Center.
After the "Curbside Chat with Strong Towns' Chuck Marohn" in front of a crowd of 225 last October at Hutchinson's Historic Fox Theatre, the Strong Towns message has been part of many conversations in recent months. In particular, the five organizations that partnered to bring the message to town have met multiple times to review the post-Strong Towns event survey results and center in on the following six strategies:
- Do the math on projects that require or request public investment to determine long-term liabilities.
- Define and develop policies that prioritize infill.
- Identify Downtown as a special Strong Towns district/neighborhood, with policies and practices that incentivize maintenance, lessen the burden of renovation costs, and practice placemaking for productive growth.
- Deepen support for the Healthy Neighborhoods Initiative and programs that target incremental improvements to the interior and exterior of homes, as well as build social capital and strengthen community pride and identity.
- Adopt a holistic view of streets and maintenance, with people, placemaking, and place-based momentum as key factors for design and investment.
- Establish a culture within and across the City that encourages creativity and experimentation (small bets) to address community challenges and potential.
In order to make progress on these strategies and embed them into our decision-making and policy-making processes, local residents will need to be the driving force. On behalf of representatives from the City of Hutchinson, Hutch Chamber, Hutch Rec, Young Professionals of Reno County and Hutchinson Community Foundation, you are invited to lend your voice to this process and bring along others who will do the same.
The event is free, but RSVP is requested by emailing Kari Mailloux, firstname.lastname@example.org.